The Cave of Saint Paul stands on the foothills on the southern side of ancient Ephesus. The cave has been used from the early Christian era until the late 19th century for worship purposes. The cave is decorated with numerous inscriptions and illustrations with visual portrayals covering the walls from Old Testament saints to soldiers from the Byzantine Middle Ages. The cave consists of a corridor leading to a 15 by 2 m room, 2.5m high, that was cut into the rock. The grotto was discovered in 1906 and excavated by the Austrian Archaeological Institute.