Skip to content
- If you are happy with the service in your restaurant, taxi, hotel, or any other service, a tip of 10-15% is an appropriate way to show your appreciation.
- Taxis, as in all countries, ask for a rough estimate of the fare before you travel. Ask the driver to use the taximeter and check your change carefully.
- Most people including the Turks drink bottled water. On the subject of drinks, Raki is the national drink in Turkey. It looks like water but is 45% alcohol. Don’t drink Raki like beer.
- Public telephones have three different systems; phone cards, tokens, and credit cards. Phone cards and tokens are sold at Turkish Telecom offices. Tokens are called “jeton” in Turkish.
- When visiting a mosque, dress modestly and take off your shoes before entering. Women may be asked to wear a scarf on their heads.